Shine a Light on NF is a grassroots initiative started by the Children’s Tumor Foundation in New York, that brings NF awareness into the community by lighting up buildings, bridges and monuments in blue and green.
In 2016, 146 buildings, bridges, and icons turned blue and/or green in recognition of NF on World NF Awareness Day or throughout the month of May. We also aligned efforts with the Neuro Foundation, a national NF charity in the UK, to extend our reach globally.
The following places have signed on to be part of this year’s event:
BC Place - April 30th to Kick off NF Awareness Month.
Canada Place on May 17th for NF World Awareness Day along with
Vancouver City Hall.
Science World will be shining a light on NF on May 16th.
The Lafarge Lake Fountain, Pinetree Way light columns and the SkyTrain guideway pillars in Port Coquitlam are Shining a Light on NF on May 17th.
Short Video of BC Place
Miranda Fatur radio post
It's super easy to enter!
All you have to do is snap a photo of yourself and the lit up landmark (or just the landmark if you're camera shy!) and tag it on Facebook and/or Twitter with the hashtag #shinealightvan
First prize is a $100 gift card and second place is a $50 gift card of your choice.
1. All photos must be original photos taken by the participant on the day and at the place listed below:
April 30: BC Place
May 16: Science World
May 17: Canada Place, Lafarge Lake Fountain, Pinetree Way Skytrain columns and pillars or Vancouver City Hall.
2. By using the hastag #shinealightvan you grant the Tumour Foundation of BC the rights to use and share the photo on all social media platforms in support of our cause and for future use in our publications, website, and promotional materials. Additionally, all contestants will consent to their names and/ or social media handles being published and announced online.
3. The contest will run from April 28 until May 20. Winners will be announced on Wednesday, May 24
4. The first place winner will be awarded to the photo with the most likes and reposts/ retweets. Copies of the same photo will only be counted once on the social media platform with the most amount of likes and reposts/ retweets. Second place will be chosen by a draw. Each photo submitted will count as one entry with a maximum of two entries per photo if they are uploaded on both Facebook and Twitter.
5. Prizes: winners can chose from one giftcard in their winning denomination from Canadian Tire, Best Buy, iTunes or The Keg
When is NF World Awareness Day?
The Tumour Foundation along with our incredible community of parents and carers, followers and members, are undertaking the task of lighting up as many iconic buildings, structures and landmarks as possible, in blue and green, on May 17th 2017 to show support for those affected by NF and to raise awareness of the condition. As May is NF Awareness Month many buildings will be lit up for the entire thirty-one days.
How Can I Help?
We are urging our community to ask for bridges and buildings to be lit up, along with businesses and landmarks and anywhere else you can think of.
We have a letter of support you can download here to send out to get your city or town involved. We can help you with any questions you may have along the way.
Need images? Click and download.
High Quality for print or posters.
170 x 170
NF Awareness Month.
1080 x 1080
170 x 170
World NF Awareness Day, May 17, 2017.
375 x 375 1080 x 1080
170 x 170
Let’s work together to Shine a Light on NF!
A few of the sites that joined last year’s campaign, included:
CN Tower, Toronto
Calgary Tower, Calgary
Niagara Falls, New York
City Hall, London
Trafalgar Square Fountains, London
The Royal Liver Building, Liverpool
Convention Centre, Dublin
Seattle Great Wheel, Seattle, WA
Bank of America Plaza, Dallas, TX
Zakim Bridge, Boston, MA
First National Building, Detroit, MI
For more information or to get involved:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
View a list of cities that participated in 2016 here and start thinking about how to get your city involved in 2017!